Thursday 20 September 2012

Seven Re-cut Film Trailers

(Because lists of five are overrated)


I'm going to let the clips do most of the speaking for this entry, but I hope you realise that writing this took just as much time and procrastination as a more verbose article!
I love covers and different takes of music and film, so here are the seven best re-cuts I've come across on Youtube:

Ferris Bueller's Day Off as an Indie Film


Ferris Bueller's Day Off has to be one of my favourite films. It's feel-good without being saccharine, but at its heart it's a coming-of-age film, full of drama, which is exactly what this trailer captures. In fact in many ways, unlike the others on this list, this trailer is actually more faithful to the film than the official one!


The Fellowship of the Ring as Directed by Wes Anderson


The Lord of the Rings meets The Darjeeling Limited. With large battle sequences it's not quite an Indie film, but there's still something very Anderson about it.


Terminator II as a Pixar Movie


The author has disabled embedding this video, which is a crying shame, but please, please take a look at this! Re-cut in the style of Wall-E (another excellent film) to the soundtrack of Terry Gilliam's Brazil, this is another film that I would actually pay through the nose to see. I understand how this may make people feel I have questionable taste.


500 Days of Summer as a Thriller


I actually haven't managed to see 500 Days all the way through yet, but there's still a week and a bit left of summer to go... Less if this trailer is anything to go by (!)


Jaws as a Disney Movie


I have literally no idea what went through the head of the guy who thought this up, but I'd like to meet him. There's something very difficult about trying to keep a straight face to out of tune singing.

Brokeback To The Future


Something every bit as ridiculous as any of the others on this list, Brokeback Mountain meets Back to the Future. Gloriously silly.


10 Things I Hate About Commandments


And finally, 10 Things I Hate About You meets The Ten Commandments, with a little Samuel L. Jackson thrown in for good measureMore possible, no, -definite- sacrilege, but a fair reflection of the whole list really, and so a good trailer to end on.


Honourable mentions:

Scary Mary Poppins
The Sound of Music re-cut as a horror movie
Pixar's 'Up' re-cut as Gran Torino
Pulp Fiction re-done with Muppet actors

Suggested reading:

Empire's "The Fifty Best Youtube Movie Trailer Mash-ups"

1 comment:

  1. Edit: Updated Pixar's "Terminator" link, as Studio Canal put a copyright block on the Youtube version today. Just my luck!

    ReplyDelete